Pages

Friday, August 18, 2006

TGOR Nation


Over my last few years in Ottawa, I started listening more and more to the all-sports radio station, the TEAM1200. It's a good sports station overall, although probably not as strong as Toronto's the FAN590, but it can certainly hold its own. [I'm biased of course, being from Toronto and the fact that the Team1200 is the Ottawa Senator flagship station, and I am an avid Leaf fan. You do the math.]

By far, my favourite show on the TEAM1200 is their morning show, called 'Three Guys On The Radio' (or TGOR for short). This is a place each AM, where guys can be guys. No one who tunes in on TGOR nation, would be caught dead watching Oprah. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Each weekday morning, TGOR walks the fine line with the CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission - basically the gov't watchdogs) with talk of hooters, lesbians, hot wives and all-things non-PC. It has been an addiction with the male population in the Ottawa valley for years, and I say it's a damn healthy one.

Many of my higher-brow friends wouldn't listen to TGOR nation even if their lives depended on it. They would rather be enlightened by CBC radio in the mornings. You know, intellectual stuff. Well I say, embrace your maleness, your primitive crudeness from time to time. It's not only ok to be a guy, but it's also ok to fart & blurb and leave the toilet seat up once in awhile. Sometimes, I think us guys are a little too conforming, a little too acquiescent to those living in Oprah-land. I think it's all about balance, and there are times when a guy needs to a guy. Oh, and btw, I also listen to CBC radio.

Leading the 3 guys is a gentleman by the name of Jim Jerome or Jungle Jim, as he's affectionately known. He is the reason why there is a 5 second delay in radio. He's also the reason why the ratings have been so high year after year. Jungle is irreverent, insulting, childish, sometimes edgy and always funny as hell. In short, he'd make one horrible priest. He is why guys listen to the show, and why their girlfriends/spouses leave the room immediately. A truely unique radio personality in the days when they all sound and act alike.

Today was his last day at TEAM1200, and I will miss him. In Taiwan and Estonia, I listened to the show over the internet and made my loneliness much less so. Though many don't care for his style, but deep down, most guys wish they could lead a life his way, to get away with stuff we don't have the balls to do. He's a guy's guy, and I thank him for the years of entertainment and gut bursting laughter. I wish him well.

[Interesting.... the word 'fart' came up on my spellchecker... I guess my spellchecker watches Oprah religiously.]

No comments: